Friday, August 26, 2011

Refocus Area

teachersintiaras:
The purpose of a refocus area is to redirect students when they are misbehaving in class. Students are first given a verbal warning. If they do not listen the first time, I (without saying anything) walk to their desk and place a refocus worksheet on it. This signals to students that they are to quietly stand up and move to the refocus area. The worksheet consists of questions like: “What behaviors are you exemplifying currently that are disrupting the learning in the classroom? How is this behavior influencing your learning? How is it influencing your peers learning? How is it affecting your teachers ability to teach?” At the bottom of the worksheet is a place for 3 signatures (parent, teacher, student). I do not always send them home, but I do if it is not taken seriously or a student is constantly being moved to refocus.

Okay! So, that all is pretty common. I think the best part is the actual refocus area! It is a tri-fold display board that is painted blue (calming) with clouds (I am blessed to have a very creative family that helps me out!). Then the 1st week of school I ask students to brainstorm different quotes or words of encouragement that they would like to hear or have someone say to them when they were having a difficult time. (Students DO NOT know that this is for the refocus area!) Then, once they are finished I create a collage on the refocus board! That way, when students are sitting there, filling out the worksheet and chilling out— they get to be silently encouraged by their peers!
Really good idea that I will be implementing.

No comments:

Post a Comment